Great Crusade

Great Crusade

Sunday 10 May 2015

Next big Purchase

Hey Everyone,
So I’ve been slacking abit this month for blog posting but I can tell you I have not be idle. So in this blog post will be covering a few different subjects of what’s going to be happening in the near future on the blog. Army progress is slowgoing and we will talk about some goals for the luna wolves.
 
First up want to talk about one of the first things that will one up shortly a new battle report. Me and my good mate Jesse got another rematch in and even with a few proxies we both field tested some units to try to get a feel for them. Right now am just organizing the photos right now and hopefully by the end of the week we will see the rematch of wolves’ vs fist.
 
Army Progress and new goals
So we’ve seen in the last few months the my luna wolves grow from a small force to one that is truly growing as a company. I have to say am personally ahead of the schedule I set up earlier this year for I wanted to do for next year.  You can find my original goal list here athttp://generalsobanandthegreatcrusade.blogspot.ca/2015/02/hey-everyone-so-i-just-wanted-to-talk.html
 
Now with that goal list in mind after play testing and also with some funds coming my way I just want to change it abit. This was due to playing some games and finding some army weakness and some battles that I struggled with even if I won. So lets look at what’s currently built.
Current
HQ
Praetors- Currently have two main ones that can either be run as a terminator or in an artifcer armour great choice
Consuls- Right now have some basic ones to give me a few Legion Champions, extra Sergeants, Librarians, and even soon an Apothecary.
Horus- Though a lord of war want to include the warmaster here since well he leads the legion. I have no complaints about him
Elites
Justerains- Ok these are just fluffy and fun to run. This 5 man squad is  with its combo of axes and the multi melta make it a great light vehicle or character killing unit .
Taratos Terminators- Great 5 man squad and gives my infantry a nice anti tank platform in close combat, extra mobility is a plus compared to the Justerains with their ability to run.
Veteran Tactical Squad- A veteran tactical squad with a melta and a rocket launcher. Though not a bad unit I find its underperforming compared to my main tactical squad so I got to find a nice niche for these guys.
 
Contomptors- I do have my 2 contemptors, built one with the ability to change the load out as a anti air/infantry to a good mix or the anti tank/infantry charger. I love these models and love running them.
 
Troops
30 Tactical Marines- Ok these are truly my bread and butter and have been my mvp in a lot of games. I need to work on getting them a few upgrades but their close combat and short range fire power is amazing.
Fast Attack
Storm Eagle- For me this is a great platform and has won me a lot of games with the tactical marines. For those running a lot of infantry I recommend picking this up with its firepower as well as transport ability it really shines.
Heavy Support
Predator Squadron- Another unit that I find that does great though I am finding some issues with it with the list. Though it’s a great anti infantry platform it has a lot of issues with some amour where I can’t find it as consistent depending on my opponent. 
Whirlwinds- So I’ve been running my whirlwinds as scorpius and I have not be disappointed with its ability to mulch infantry and also have some anti tank In it I’ve had this unit win me some games. Running two is also a nice bonus and I’ve seen this really keep my opponent off balance.
Land Raider- This vehicles has really shined in a 30k environment and also against a few xeno players I’ve been up against. That amour 14 really shines with amour cermite but am finding its lower transport ability has kept it in the garage in a few games.
 
Game analyst
So one of the things I like to do post game is to try to figure out where I’ve gone wrong or what my army has felt like it’s been missing. So with some luck a good friend of mine has been running a website called Itoysoliders where you can record games and also get I think a pretty good gauge of what your scenes local meta. You can find some of this data here at http://itoysoldiers.com/stats .
Now what I’ve found is that in my local meta and also from my own notes is that am lacking some anti armor. Thinking back on a few games I found that a lot of of my kills against heavy amour tanks like shadowswords and land raiders was that I was either lucking out or mass fire for glancing hits. Now this tactic is a sound tactic but I was only lucking out and it wasn’t a consistant thing with the average heavy weapon of my army being either strength 7 or 6 with rending things will have to change.
Another big thing was getting my units either up the board into a battle position or taking objectives. From a few of my notes my rhinos where getting killed by a few heavy weapons quickly where my land raider and storm eagle where both performing very well in this role. So with this I have to look at a better screen or a more reliable option for the army that can both replace the rhino and the land raider.
The other thing that I discovered in my games was due to my local meta and some rules I set up for myself I was not taking my lord of war or had any comparable.  Since an average game in my local store and scene was either 1850 or 2000 points I always had a hard time bringing Horus into a game to be a counter and booster for the army just due to his 500 points. I need to look at a alt method for a lord of war that will be cheaper than Horus but also be able to take on a knight or shadow sword that runs in the local meta a lot.
Lastly one thing that I found was there was something my army did have was vehicle survivablity . Now the rhinos where a exception to this rule but I found on average most of my tanks and walkers were armor 13 on the front armor which where proving pretty well even against a few of the shooty armies I played against. So this was one of the great strength I have to make sure I still keep.
Revamped Plans
So with that there was a few goals in mind. First was that my new selections in the armies had to most likely be tanks and transports. Next was that they had to have improved fire power compared to my current tank platforms and contemptors.  Lastly in my selection I have to make sure I also get something that can also be a better transport for bigger squads of troops.
 
With these goals in mind I wanted to pick a few vehicle options that would give me an edge.

Sicaran Battle Tank
Now this is a tank many 30k players would swear by and with some thought this might be a nice new battle tank to add. It’s a nice all around vehicle that give it some anti-tank ability, some great anti infantry and in a pinch anti air. It has a nice amount of armor and with it has some speed to it compared to the predator.  This one looks like it will be a nice staple piece but lets look at it in better details.
First I make sure it meets my heavy weapon goal. Armor with a Twin Linked Accelerator Autocannon of 6 shots at strength 7 and rending gives it a nice amount of firepower though at some cost of massed shots compared to a 3 squadron of predators. The other nice thing about that weapon is its ability to remove jink saves that help it against massed xenos bikes as well as a anti flyer platform. It also has a added bonus to mount either heavy bolters or lass canons that can really define its role.
The other benefit to this unit is the amour this thing has mixed with its speed. The Sicaran has a front armour of 13 with side, rear being a impressive 12 making this a great tank all around and will survive more then my current predator fleet. The other nice thing is the fast rule this tank has making it a more mobile platform being able to fire on the go. I think this and its fire power will give the army a much needed boost.

Sicaran Venator Tank Destoyer.
Now the Venator is the younger brother to the Sicaran and fits a nice tactical role. With the same strengths as the Sicaran that came before it it has a defied role as a tank killer with a Neutron Beam. Despite its shorter range this strength 10 ap 1 is a true beast of a anti tank and will give the army the boost it needs. I think this will be my second go to tank in my revamped plans.
 
Spartan Assualt Tank
So the big brother to the land raider and one of the greatest transport ability in a legion list. This one I’ve been eyeing for a while to either carry my primarch and a body guard unit or just another way to get a blob of troops. The other nice thing is it’s another way to get lasscannons on the field so it will give the army another weapon choice. Personally can’t wait to get this out.
 
Typhon Siege Tank
So this is the lord of war that will take place of my primarch in a lot of games. This was a hard pick as I wanted to a nice lord of war that could bring firepower but also be cheaper then my primarch. With its massive gun and also ignoring cover I think this is going to be a big hitter with its strength 10 ap 1 apoc blast. Hoping this will punch higher then its points in most games and can’t wait to give a post game analysis once I get it.
 
Army Conclusion
So this the big expansion to the army and probably the last major purchase for a while tank wise. I hope this will fit all my needs until I find a new one for the army and if that comes up you will know. Now with this purchase this won’t be the last purchase period since I got a lot more I want to add the company including a major amount of mkII armour and MkIII armour to the list. I wonder what everyone thinks of this armour selection.
 
Whats up after this ?
So there's two last major thing I want to talk about quickly. So hoping that in the next two weeks I want to start with some tactical blog going over some units that I found for the luna wolves that I found a lot of people seem to have some issue with. Hoping that I can go over some units that I found have made the luna wolves doctrine pretty strong and may help out some players come up with a fluffy but tactical use for them.
 
Lastly the one thing I want to talk about is hopefully by next month me and mate can start up a campaign. This will be a great crusade campaign pitting the 14th Company Against the fell xenos of the orks. Its still being worked on and I hope I can get this off the ground. As always stayed tuned for more 30k gaming and news.
 
General Soban 
Signing off till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment